Honanki Heritage Site
The name Honanki means “Badger House” in Hopi. The modern Hopi have no specific name for this site, even though it was built by their Sinagua ancestors. In this case the name was applied by Dr. Jesse Walter Fewkes, the famous archaeologist from the Smithsonian Institute who excavated the ruin in 1913.
The cliff dwelling dates from AD 1130-1350, at which time this two story pueblo with 72 rooms was one of the largest villages in Red Rock Country. Evidence suggests that some rooms were used for food storage, others as family or group living spaces, and one special room is believed to have been a highly spiritual birthing room.
At Honanki much of the rock art is on the back wall above the village, and over 2,000 petroglyphs and pictographs have been recorded. Today the site managed by the U.S. Forest Service under the Red Rock Pass Program, and is open to the general public for visits seven days a week from 9:30 am -3:00 pm (closed Thanksgiving and Christmas).
There is only one short trail that is about 0.25 miles long, so visiting Honanki is more of a walk than a hike. It does require reservations in advance, which can be made by calling 928-282-4119. Honanki makes a great add-on for those hiking Loy Canyon or Hartwell Canyon.
FINDING THE TRAILHEAD
A high clearance vehicle is not needed to access this trailhead. From West Sedona take Highway 89A west toward Cottonwoood. From the last stop light in Sedona (at the High School on Upper Red Rock Loop Rd) it is 5.27 miles to a right turn on Forest Road 525, just past mile marker 365.
FR 525 is washboarded and rough, but it can be driven from end to end in a regular passenger car if you go slow and drive carefully. From the highway it is another 9.5 miles to the parking are for Honanki. There are directional signs all the way once you turn onto FR 525. A Red Rock Pass or an America The Beautiful Interagency Pass is required for parking.